Saturday, June 13, 2009

Spinach Cake Recipe

Hey all! Normally you would not find me posting on a Saturday night. But I just had to share this wonderful recipe with everyone while it was fresh on my taste buds!

So, here is the story. I was chatting with one of the owners of Tillman Training (the place where I crossfit) about the Paleo Diet. It is also known as the caveman diet or hunter-gatherer diet. Basically, you eat what you can hunt, grow, or pick from a tree. Anyway, I asked if she had any good resources for recipes. This is when she told me about Elana's Pantry. I came across this recipe for a Spinach Cake and I must say that it is WONDERFUL. My entire family enjoyed it, including Ms. K who never eats dinner.

Here it is! I used cranberries instead of currants, which worked just as well I suspect.



Spinach Cake


1 ½ pounds spinach, thoroughly washed, leave stems on if they are not tough

3 tablespoons grapeseed oil

1 cup pine nuts

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 eggs, whisked

½ cup currants

1 teaspoon celtic sea salt


Wilt spinach in a large covered saucepan, over low heat (do not add water) 5 minutes, until tender
Drain and cool, then gently squeeze moisture out of spinach
Place spinach in food processor and pulse until coarsely blended, then set aside
In a small skillet, warm 3 tablespoons oil, add pine nuts and saute until golden brown
Add garlic to pan of pine nuts and saute together an additional minute
In a large bowl, combine pine nuts mixture, blended spinach, eggs, currants and salt
Spread mixture into a greased 7 x 11 inch pyrex baking dish
Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes
Serve



Try it! You will not be disappointed. Also, check out Elana's Pantry for more yummy recipes. She specializes in gluten-free, but there is something there for everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the link. Looks yummy, but my pantry isn't stocked with the stuff it calls for. Once things settle down I'm off to whole foods. I hope Logan likes it!

    ReplyDelete